10.20.2008

Dictionaries on Eee PC 901

During the weekend I have written I have written my first blog entry using my Eee PC, and I have realised that I lack the spell checker aid of OpenOffice and Firefox. (Shame on me and the gaps in my long ago forgotten grammar studies.) So I have started to find out how to install the Hungarian and English (UK and US) dictionaries for these programs.
For Firefox, it was easy. I have visited the Firefox Add-ons page, and with a few clicks I have installed the necessary files. After restarting firefox, everything was working.
In case of OpenOffice it was a bit trickier. I have found easily the wiki page of the program, so I could download the required packages. But the suggested method, i.e. to use the wizard for the installation didn't work for me, OpenOffice was hanging whenever I tried to open the wizard file (DicOOo.sxw).
Instead I have done this. I have download the zip files. For each languages there are two files in the zip package, for example for Hungarian there is hu_HU.aff and hu_HU.dic. These files were copied into the dir: /usr/lib/openoffice/share/dict/ooo
Affter that I had to update the /usr/lib/openoffice/share/dict/ooo/dictionary.lst file:

cat >> /usr/lib/openoffice/share/dict/ooo/dictionary.lst

DICT hu HU hu_HU # Hungarian

DICT en GB en_GB # British English


DICT en US en_US # American English


Ctrl+D


Obviously these shoulld be done as root in the console, which can be reached by Ctrl+Alt+T and then typing sudo -i
After that when I have restarted OpenOffice, I had spell checker for all these languages.

No comments: