10.21.2008

The touchpad of my Eee PC

Today I was playing around with the touchpad of my Eee PC. I works basically well, but I lack a lot the middle mouse button feature. As you know, middle mouse button has a very special function on linux: When you highlight text in most of the programs, it is automatically copied to the clipboard. You can easily paste that text with the middle button anywhere. I am very used to this feature, I use it in command line and also in the OpenOffice. The touchpad of the Eee PC has only two physical buttons, but I want that middle one also. On my old laptop it was the tapping with two fingers mapped to this function, so my goal was to set up the same here.
My first step was to have a look into the config file of X.org: /etc/X11/xorg.conf. I was lucky, I have found the related part there:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "synaptics"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "LeftEdge" "1400"
Option "RightEdge" "5900"
Option "TopEdge" "1400"
Option "BottomEdge" "4500"
Option "PalmDetect" "0"
Option "SHMConfig" "true"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "yes"
Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
Option "VertScrollDelta" "155"
Option "RBCornerButton" "0"
Option "RTCornerButton" "0"
Option "TapButton2" "0"
Option "MinSpeed" "0.095"
Option "MaxSpeed" "0.38"
Option "VertTwoFingerScroll" "1"
Option "VertEdgeScroll" "0"
Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
EndSection

I was very happy to see that my touch pad here is using the standard synaptics driver, the same as my old laptop. I was also happy to see those optiion lise, that has hinted me that I can find the right one for my purpose. But what are those options doing? Looking around for some documentation of this driver, I have found that there is a man page for this, so a simple man synaptics command has poured the needed info. I have quickly found that I can map the middle button to the two finger tap by setting the "TapButton2" option to 2. I have edited the file as root and after restarting X (using the Ctrl+Alt+Bakspace key combination) I have now the feature.

No comments: